We are looking for an experienced menswear buyer with a proven track record in sourcing, selecting and displaying fantastic branded product. This is a unique role with the potential to expand and the right candidate will have the autonomy and opportunity to shape both their career and the future of their department.
Please find the full job spec below and click the APPLY NOW button to send us your application.
Responsible for sourcing, selecting, reviewing and displaying great product in a well run department in order to achieve sales and profit targets
In addition to these functions, employees are required to carry out such other duties as may be reasonably required.
Sales and Buying Performance
• Achieve or exceed planned sales in all sections of the department
• Demonstrate effective buying and selecting skills allied to an in-depth knowledge of the customer, the market, the competition and an ability to predict future trends
• Agree optimum width and depth of assortment with the Merchandiser and within the framework agreed at the business review meetings
• In conjunction with the Merchandising team, produce and control effective open to buy proposals by analysing current, future and proposed season ranges
• Drives sales through standards of visual merchandise and commercial layout
• Feature successful lines and/or new lines with clarity and authority by working with the department and visual merchandising teams to effectively present the department
• Determine and display selling prices, ensuring that we are competitive and compliant with current legislation and company policy
• Identify and create promotional opportunities, negotiate deals and manage the sales once in store. Where appropriate work with other Buyers in the group to construct strong promotional offers and to negotiate advantageous deals
Managing for Profit
• Plan merchandise and stock holding in conjunction with the Merchandiser
• Achieve the agreed buying in margin by careful and sensible product selection
• Agree markdown and promotional spend with the Merchandiser to maximise profit whilst retaining relevant stock turn
• Maintain relationship with existing suppliers and source new suppliers for future products
• Negotiate hard in the areas of settlement discount, discount on quoted prices, rebates, markdown allowance, stock swap, sale or return, staffing contributions, sale buys, advertising contributions, free gifts for customers, workshops or training etc…
• In conjunction with the Merchandiser effectively manage stock by planning ahead and reacting to analytical information
• Work closely with the department and Merchandiser to successfully take stock twice yearly and produce minimal wastage
• Control staffing costs
Strategic Perspective and Vision
• Analyse and identify ways to improve department performance
• Generate innovative ideas and solutions that have commercial gain
• Be aware of and respond to outside developments both locally and nationally
• Observe and compare the market with own area of merchandise. Utilise ideas and observations and be ahead of the competition
• Be aware of features in the local and national press and react if necessary
• Recognise and respond to the need to change
Managing yourself and your Team
• Create a customer focused environment ensuring staff are motivated to achieve sales targets.
• Take responsibility for own actions and for managing problems; avoiding a blame culture
• Display motivation, perseverance and resilience
• Constantly communicate with the team to ensure they are kept up to date
• Work with the Sales Manager to prioritise objectives and to delegate tasks, ensuring that the Sales Manager sets an effective daily and weekly plan of action and that this is communicated to the team
• Regularly track progress in conjunction with the Sales Manager and mentor the Sales Manager to achieve their potential
• Support and guide the Sales Manager to lead, train, guide, and motivate an effective team; developing staff with potential
Health and Safety
• Work with the Sales Manager to ensure that the department is a safe place to work in and safe for customers to visit under the store Health and Safety Policy and Procedures.
• Ensure that the department is aware of and understands the fire and emergency procedures.
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
• Ideally Educated to degree level
• Good Communicator / Great Negotiator
• Articulate in written and oral communication
• Motivated and resilient
• Commercially Aware
• Proven track record in buying a commercially viable range of merchandise
Reports to: Head of Buying
Interested? Please e-mail your CV with a full covering letter, along with your current salary/package details via the APPLY NOW button below.