Garment Designer- Girls 4-14 (Mat Cover for 9 months)
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and create. Our ranges are designed with real customers in mind, designing for their everyday real lives and life events.
As an experienced designer, you’ll use your design skills and commercial awareness to drive trends and develop credible ranges – from concept to finished product aimed at our older girlcustomer.
This role is to identify and understand our customers’ needs, react to trends, developing commercial innovative collections in conjunction with our supply partners. You will need to be able to multi task, juggling varying critical paths collaboratively with our print designer’s and buyers, delivering to the critical path.Responsibilities will include:
- Research, collate and identify key trends. Be responsible for driving trends from initial concept to finished product, through design packs and procuct development.
- Experience of presenting to the business at all levels, and suppliers- present back key stories and messages in design presentation and early trend presentations.
- Competitor shopping and inspiration travel.
- Drive and implementation of trend and newness for our customer profiles.
- Responsible for managing team travel and sample budget.
- Responsible for managing deadlines and meeting critical path.
- Direct product development with supplier base.
- To drive development of self and others, through regular 1-2-1's, appraisals, on the job coaching and relevant training.
- Understanding of relevant departmental strategy and impact on product.
- Trading aware and reacting accordingly.
- To be aware of trends in license character and brands as relevant to the area.
- Cross functional working where relevant.
- A strong track record of producing innovative and commercial designs within your career as an experienced Designer.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience ideally within girls wear.
- Working knowledge of CAD software (including Adobe Photoshop and illustrator).
- Strong presentation and teamwork skills.
- Excellent understanding of the George customer.
- Ability to combine a number of research avenues – Pinterest, trend bibles, inspirational trips…etc, to produce commercial designs.
The ideal candidate will have an outstanding track record throughout their design career within fashion. You must work well within a team, are strong minded and keen to contribute with your ideas. If you meet this criteria then we have an exciting opportunity for you.