Garment Technologist – Denim
Superdry is continuing to expand rapidly on a global basis and across multiple channels. We are moving decisively into the US and China, and will open numerous stores there in both these territories this financial year. We are also opening many new stores across Europe, as well as growing significantly across our wholesale and ecommerce channels. This growth, coupled with the work of our incredibly creative and innovative design team, will drive an increased demand for new product – all of which comes through our Sourcing, Production and Garment Technology teams.
In this role you will lead the denim pod, supporting our Designers and Buyers in the development of innovative and high quality denim product. Coming from a premium denim background, you will understand the need to deliver innovation whilst managing consistency on core areas, for a brand that is looking to deliver the best product on the planet.
This role is integral in the Garment Technology department and requires someone who has previous experience in developing denim for a high-end fashion brand or supplier. The successful candidate will be forward thinking, have a superb eye for detail and willing to build on their knowledge of all relevant product standards. You will be flexible, an articulate and confident communicator, and able to cope with multiple tasks maintaining high level of accuracy at all times.
- To identify and deliver the correct sizing, grading and fittings across denim product within Superdry.
- To drive brand fit and ensure standards are maintained across the denim area.
- To initiate regular fit assessments, checking stock and blocks across the collections, liaising with design and management in line with the critical path.
- To drive correct standards and best practice with suppliers and key stakeholders highlighting potential delays to management as appropriate. To offer solutions when issues arise and advise supply base to action as appropriate
- To develop products through supplier manual approval process adhering to the critical path. To improve and develop suppliers through advising, coaching, raising issues and planning for future ways of working.
- To ensure comments to suppliers are clearly written on technical packs and cover all aspects of the development process including construction, trims, fabric, fit, labels, branding, colour, wash and handfeel
- To drive the risk assessment of products, raise concerns with the Technical Team Manager where appropriate and collectively address issues in a timely manner in order to make commercial recommendations and decisions on the next course of action
- To ensure knowledge of the denim product, washes, fabrics, production techniques, fit and finishing is shared with the team and demonstrated in daily work tasks
- To drive critical path events with key stakeholders and suppliers to maintain the agreed deliveries
- To manage workload in an organized manner and maintain a central filing system which interlinks with other members of the team
- To plan workload following the buying calendar, raising issues, risk or opportunities as necessary
- To ensure all products comply with current legislation and international standards
What we’re looking for
- Be degree level/professional qualification level educated or a depth of experience within a similar role within denim.
- Must have proven professional experience working at Garment Tech or Senior Garment Tech level in a Garment Technologist or similar role working with denim products.
- Demonstrable knowledge working in a product facing role in denim with a depth of understanding of different denim washes, fabrics, finishes, construction, production methods, fitting, size grading and QC.
- Have experience of working within a technologist or similar role for a relevant brand; preferably in the premium sector is preferred. Individuals from supplier backgrounds will also be considered
- Have experience working with an international supply base
- Have sound IT (Microsoft) knowledge. Particularly Excel
- Be enthusiastic and determined, with a passion for innovation and technology, team spirit and positive attitude.
- Possess confidence in own ability and comfortable working autonomously to lead the development of product within your area.
- Resilient character able to manage priorities effectively and remain cool in what is a fact paced and often changing environment.
- Be a confident and skilled communicator in order to maintain a strong working relationship with Merchandisers, Sourcing, Design, Regional Office, colleagues and suppliers.
- Based within commutable distance of Cheltenham or willing to relocate