Garment Technologist / Production Assistant
Since 1992, Sahara’s collections have been inspired by global travel and adventure. Sahara remains a successful, independent, creative thinking, family-run business with a growing portfolio of 14 own-brand stores, a rapidly expanding e-Commerce store & over 120 wholesale stockists. The company employs over 100 people across the UK & their HQ is based in leafy Primrose Hill, NW1.
Sahara targets the discerning, free-spirited woman who appreciates quality & style over trend-led fashion. The label is renowned for its relaxed, unstructured fits, creative silhouettes & its use of unusual, textural fabrics. Alongside its own label, Sahara edits complementary collections by European designers such as Oska, YaccoMaricard, Rundholz & it showcases eclectic jewellery & accessories from up and coming & established contemporary designers alike.
Sahara is passionate about working with great people & building inspired, creative teams. We spend a LOT of time at work, so we know how important it is to enjoy your working day. We promote a friendly, non-corporate environment at our HQ; we work hard, we are passionate, and we love to have a laugh. We are an independent company too so we are lucky that don’t have anyone else to answer to, which sometimes allows us more creative freedom than we would experience otherwise. We support one another, we strive for creative excellence and we believe in collaboration more than we do in hierarchy.
This is an exciting, brand new role created to provide increased support for Sahara’s production team, in this role you will be working alongside a Technical Product Developer. The new position is of key importance to the continuing success and growth of the brand; the Production team will rely on the skills and expertise of the Garment Technologist / Production Assistant to drive and elevate the quality of production.
Working with the existing Technical Product Developer, the following are the core responsibilities for the position but are not limited to:
- Arrange and manage fit meetings, from sampling stage to PP, recording all measurement & style amendments
- Work alongside the Pattern Cutter to assist in fitting garments, amend patterns ready for production and track in-house patterns
- Liaise with factories to book space, provide pattern updates, send specifications, fit comments and monitor deliveries
- Assist the Production team in managing the critical path of PP garments
- Assist the Production team in managing the QC of garments from sampling to production
- Create sample and production specifications using Adobe Illustrator to create technical drawings from designs, meticulously detailing fabrics, buttons and trim information
- Create artwork for care and composition labels, disclaimers and care swing tags
- Create colour/lab dip reference sheets by supplier
- For samples, ensure all relevant information such as fabric and trims are sent to the factories in line with the critical path
- Ensure the sample spec and programme folders are kept ordered and up to date
- Using the in-house Production system, set up style digital cards, generate reports and raise POs to factory
- Code new styles and keep the department style filing system up to date
- Record and archive all samples
- Maintain tracking of samples and patterns and manage sample transfers to/from factory
- Ensure the pattern/fabric holding room and stock sampling room are consistently well presented and organised
- Conduct spot-checks at retail stores to ensure measures & sizing are consistent across Sahara ranges
Please note that particularly as this is a new position, this is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities. There is very much an opportunity to implement and shape this exciting new role.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience as a Garment Technologist/Production Assistant within a similar womenswear company
- Strong knowledge of garment construction and accute attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and organisational skills
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe Illustrator
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, particularly Excel
- Understand the design and manufacturing process
- Experience of pattern cutting and grading
- Knowledge of fabric testing
AS A PERSON YOU WILL
- Continually challenge the status-quo in order to strive for perfection
- Have a discerning eye with acute attention to detail
- Have a capacity to work to tight deadlines without compromising quality
- Be a great team player with strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humour
- Be calm under pressure whilst having a pro-active, positive, can do attitude
AND IN RETURN WE OFFER…..
- Competitive Basic Salary
- 22 days holiday per annum, rising to 25 days with service
- Generous Staff Discount
- Childcare voucher scheme
To apply for either position please submit your CV with a supporting statement explaining how your skills and experience meet the criteria of the role. Please ensure you specify which position you would like to be considered for and send to email@example.com
Apply for Garment Technologist / Production Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly