Designer - Homeware
We are currently recruiting for a Designer to join our Homeware Design team here at Head Office. As a Designer you will support the Design Manager in designing and developing comprehensive ranges in conjunction with the Buyers, ensuring that the product and ranges reflect the current market and Matalan's customers.
Designer – The role:
- Undertake Market research to identify what the latest trends are and Matalan's competitors ranges
- Provide advice of initial samples, ensuring that manufactured products match initial design specifications
- Liaising with the Buyers on costs/ margins to ensure that the range can realistically be bought with-in the given budget
- Working with the Design team to help create and present the company trends presentations, the ‘key looks' information for the buyer and the company colour palettes
- Design ranges with buyer based on sales and trend information, including updating core lines
- CAD work including producing design packs, artworks, graphics, prints and packaging
- Research, update and feedback information on trends and colours and directional shop information to buyer and team
- Liaising with suppliers on product and design detail
- When required, undertake factory visits and competitive shopping trips in the UK, USA and Far East with full reports and feedback to the Buying and Design teams.
- When required, attend Trade and Trend Shows, feeding information back to both the Design and the Buying teams.
Designer - The candidate:
- Design related degree with a 2:1 classification or above
- Strong proven background working within a design related retail environment preferably within Homewares
- Experience of designing both hard and soft goods, including textiles
- Experience within a Graphic Design role would be beneficial
- Ability to identify the latest market colours and have a good eye for trends and detail
- Ability and experience in designing prints and patterns
- Competent using Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CAD programmes
- Ability to work independently with a strong attention to detail
- Confident communication skills and the ability to work across a number of reporting lines
- Naturally enthusiastic and energetic with the ability to deliver solutions to tight deadlines
- Proactive and capable of using own initiative
- Able to travel around the UK and abroad throughout the year
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility towards demanding and varied workload
If you think you've got what it takes to be a successful Designer for our Homeware design team at Matalan, apply today!
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.