Head of Retail
The Head of Retail will be responsible for driving profitable sales through a robust retail strategy ensuring all stores are on brand in line with brand guidelines and maximising sales opportunities. It will manage a small growing portfolio of London stores whilst identifying opportunities for growth, new stores and concession partnerships managing third party relationships with high-end luxury retailers.
The successful candidate will have a minimum 2 years’ experience as Head of Retail, Retail Operations Manager, Area Manager or similar with expertise in contemporary luxury womenswear.
- Develop, plan & execute an appropriate retail sales strategy to drive growth, development and profitability, working closely with the CEO to ensure alignment of activities, taking ownership for implementation, execution and on-going review.
- Define a clear retail operations strategy enabling efficient roll out and execution that will allow the brand to be a successful and competitive luxury fashion business.
- Develop and execute a short, medium and long-term sales strategy to drive footfall, profitable sales, and engage the localized target customer with the brand, which maximizes all market opportunities.
- Work closely with store managers and retail operations support to optimise commercial performance in each retail space by identifying business opportunities and initiatives to drive sales and promotions and minimise losses in line with overall company objectives and policies.
- Build and develop client loyalty, including planning and delivering of CRM events and initiatives in conjunction with marketing strategies and in line with the brand guidelines.
- Interpret, present and manage marketing programmes to drive retailers’ sales efficiently and effectively.
- Be aware of market trends and competitors, analysing and directing areas for business development and improvement.
- Engage the local target customer with the brand through customer acquisition and retention strategies for the retail customer.
- Develop business plans that strategically build revenue including identifying and securing potential new store destinations, trialing pop-up stores and coordinating store fit outs.
- Build strong and effective relationships with key strategic retail partners and create a portfolio of contacts to ensure the retail arm achieves business targets while managing costs in line with P&L and managing agreed KPI’s.
- Act as an Ambassador at all times both internally and externally.
- Develop strong relationships with major national and international department stores.
- Work closely with the retail operations team to ensure the product offer is optimised at all times and sales opportunities are maximised and relationships and brand image preserved.
- Communicate effectively, build and maintain positive working relationships, treating colleagues with integrity and respect.
- Ensure consistent communication with suppliers and customers in order to create a lasting impression amongst consumers to improve product sales and company growth.
- Feedback product and competitor information on regular basis.
- Ensure that all customer communication channels represent the brand proposition.
- Identify and present to the business brand appropriate commercial opportunities as they relate to each project undertaken by the business.
- Lead proposal efforts including new scoping and assessment of project opportunities.
- Effectively convey messages in both written and verbal business development discussions.
- Manage, lead and direct all areas of retail strategy linking with the online store to optimise sales.
- Work with the retail team to identify potential improvements in store operations and merchandise flow.
- Work closely with senior management and other key stakeholders in the identification and acquisition of sites, fit refurbishments, health & safety regulations and sales figures.
- Set and monitor all store targets and budgets in line with the P&L reports to achieve maximum profitability.
- Set annual objectives for Store Managers and review regularly to hit KPI targets.
- Visit stores regularly, set objectives and action plans to follow up on subsequent visits and ensure all actions are completed according to the agreed time line.
- Encourage Retail Managers to develop and retain their sales team through quarterly reviews and annual appraisals and encourage high achieving employees through internal promotion.
- Analyse best/slow sellers, potential product needs, allocations, product and collection mix by store in order to grow categories.
- Develop, optimise, review and propose annual retail sales budget, and manage all costs and take responsibility for the P&L, working with Finance to report and manage net revenue, costs and operational profit.
- Maintain, review and negotiate all terms of agreements, contracts and accounts and be accountable for these.
- Set staff structures in line with budget and maintain optimum staffing levels to reflect trading pattern/store sales performance.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a Head of Retail or equivalent role.
- Multi-channel experience preferable optimising online and physical store sales.
- Experience in driving retail sales nationally building strong retail relationships at a contemporary luxury level with external partners.
- Demonstrable leadership skills and experience in delivering a retail strategy.
- Experience working independently and in a collaborative team focused environment.
- Flexible and hands-on able to manage shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of resources.
- Experience managing multiple projects and tasks whilst maintaining a strategic approach.
- Strong written and oral communications.
- Positive, results focused leadership and management skills.
- Open to working in a small growing business initially with three London stores, with view to expanding business nationally and potentially internationally.