Technical Development Manager
Our client is the leading UK manufacturer of commercial fabrics for interiors, health, education, transport and retail. They are a global business with offices and clients around the world and have won a number of leading industry awards for their innovative and sustainable production. They now have an opportunity based in Yorkshire for a Technical Development Manager.
Technical Development Manager - The Role:
- In conjunction with the Head of Technical set the technical vision and drive the 2-5 year strategy for the development process.
- To understand fully the strengths and opportunities for improvement within the Group and support the Head of Technical.
- In conjunction with the Creative Director, Design & Quality teams support the Head of Technical in taking responsibility for putting in place a technical strategy ensuring that the knowledge and understanding of the internal and external environment is adequate to support the decision-making process.
- Successfully implement new products in line with published Critical Success Factors to deliver the Company's continued Strategic Goals.
- Provide assistance to the Head of Technical in the development of our technical vision, providing the relevant expertise and insight required.
- Working collaboratively with insight provided from product management to help shape and create product opportunities into tangible market leading products.
- Provide consistent support to the Head of Technical Development and Creative Director.
- To provide technical expertise and support from concept to feasible stages for all textiles within the business.
- Work with the internal design, innovation and supply chain teams and suppliers in the sourcing of new and sourced product, ensuring technical performance and fitness for purpose.
- Always be aware of legislative changes which could impact on fabric performance and share these changes with relevant personnel.
- To manage the effective handover of technical projects to Product Management and Quality at feasible stage.
- To share in the overseeing of the management and administration of environmental labels, ensuring all information is accurate and responsible for the Creation of Control Plans for new products.
- To always ensure that innovation and environmental sustainability remains the focus of everything the business does.
- Ensure all products are fit for purpose and meet the required performance specifications, environmental aspects, aesthetics and costs as the product development request details.
- To write the manufacturing specifications of developed products and maintain accurate records of all developments for reference.
- To ensure that information on manufacturing specifications, Scotweave, CMS and the Stage-gate system are accurate and up to date.
- Show an expert understanding of the global textile market and make informed decisions to lead and drive the new technical proposals, working in conjunction with design to agree and present collaboratively to Creative Director.
- Together with the Head of Technical lead, drive and nurture collaborations with like minded and industry recognised technical developers and companies who compliment and strengthen the business product range and ethos.
- Represent and promote the business, when requested, at industry events, preparing and giving talks to customers promoting the Brand and with customers as appropriate acting as an ambassador.
- In conjunction with the Head of Technical establish and develop relationships with influential creatives worldwide, maintaining contact and building relationships to gather the latest information on future product requirements.
- To advise both external and internal customers on technical performance of products and provide expertise in line with individual customer requirements.
- To ensure responses to customer enquiries and documentation pertaining to sustainability are answered correctly and efficiently by the Technical Development Team.
- Advise and guide marketing on technical matters ensuring accurate information is provided.
Technical Development Manager - The Candidate
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels as will be interacting with all areas of the business
- Attention to detail
- Highly organised and methodical approach, with time management skills and ability to work to deadlines
- Hands on approach to work
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Excellent colour acuity
- Technical textile expertise and education.
- In depth technical knowledge of fibres, yarns, constructions and finishes.
- Drive and energy with an ability to inspire, lead and motivate others.
- The ability to work independently with passion and drive whilst demonstrating high levels of resilience and energy.
- Strong, successful and proven interpersonal skills utilised for effective communication internally and externally.
Technical Development Manager - The Package:
- Highly competitive package that reflects the position.
Please note that due to the anticipated interest in this role only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
By applying for this role you will be asked to consent to the u&i Recruitment GDPR Policy.