Fabric and Trim Technologists Needed in New Zealand
Kathmandu is a leading travel and adventure clothing and equipment retailer, inspiring adventure in everyone. A true Australasian retail success story, Kathmandu has a proven growth strategy in Australia and New Zealand, with further opportunity to grow internationally. Our support office is based in the stunning South Island of New Zealand with mountains, rivers and the beach on your doorstep.
We are currently seeking expressions of interest for a Fabric Technologist (Fixed Term 11 Months) and a permanent Trim Technologist to join our Product Development Team. To be successful in these roles you will you will be a subject matter expert with 3-5 years’ experience and a strong knowledge of performance textiles and understanding of yarns, fabric manufacturing & chemical processing.
This area of the business is passionate about driving Kathmandu’s vision by delivering innovative, sustainable, and quality materials, you too would need to share that passion. As an expert in your field you will ensure that fabrics are sourced and developed on time, at the right price to meet or exceed Kathmandu quality standards, coordinate bulk testing of fabrics with mills and deliver fabric technical innovation opportunities to set Kathmandu apart from its competitors.
Based at our support office in Christchurch, reporting to the Fabric R&D Manager, the Fabric Technologist will have overall responsibility for:
- Working with Design team and Fabric Suppliers to develop fabrics in line with brand design, price and quality requirements
- Dealing with fabric related technical issues and fabric specifications including liaising with Quality team re fabric related quality issues
- Undertaking trend research for fabrics/finishes/washes with trend boards reflecting key market trends and fabrics in line with sourcing requests from designers
- Field testing new fabrics prior to production to ensure fit for purpose
- The on-boarding of new fabric suppliers including reviewing current supplier DIFOTIS
Your main responsibilities as a Trim Technologist will include:
- Supporting the trim material development process so that all trims are developed as per the seasonal critical path (CP) to meet or exceed Kathmandu quality standards
- Ensuring the trim library, seasonal development tracker, swatch books, trim specification sheets and PLM records are maintained
- Supporting the trim testing process to ensure that initial testing of trims with suppliers and field testing is undertaken and quality standards are adhered to at all times
- Supporting the maintenance of the trim supplier base and supplier relationships so that all trims suppliers are databased
- Ensuring evaluated gaps within current supplier base are identified and new suppliers are proposed
This is not a job; it’s a career opportunity for a candidate who will thrive in a fun, fast paced but professional environment. You will have;
- 3-5 years’ experience and be a subject matter expert with strong analytical skills and a related degree
- A hard working attitude, be highly organised, motivated and dedicated
- The ability to work to set deadlines and adhere to these
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines on an ongoing basis.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively across Kathmandu’s operations
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-improvement (goal-oriented)
- The ability to undertake regular international travel to Asia, if required
If you are looking for the chance of a lifetime to come and work, live and play in the South Island of New Zealand, Kathmandu offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with level of experience, fantastic staff discounts, as well as a relaxed and friendly team environment. We can also assist with relocation costs for the right candidates.