Freelance Garment Technologist
The Freelance Garment Technologist supports the Product Development and Production teams in ensuring all development and production samples conform to the standards required across fit, make, raw materials and sizing. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years garment technology experience working from initial prototype to final production sample, including the execution of technical specs, grades, fittings and amendments. Expertise in women’s tailoring, dresses and soft separates and contemporary or luxury fashion is essential.
- Maintain and agree standard measurements and record and measure against spec for all styles encompassing day to evening dresses, soft separates and tailoring.
- Ensure measurements are consistent across the supplier base as it expands.
- Undertake regular competitor research to ensure fit and sizing is competitive.
- Define and maintain grading and sizing rules for each garment type.
- Work alongside Product Development to ensure all technical specs are clear and any measurement requests are consistent with the standard measurements.
- Measure all samples to ensure they conform to the size specifications.
- Flag any variance in sizes prior to fit meetings and ensure factory is informed where appropriate.
- Attend fit meetings including all collection sample and pre-production fittings to ensure samples conform to the Designer’s vision and are of the correct quality.
- Record all fit comments and relay to the factories ensuring amendments are accurately reflected in future samples or production.
- Support the factories in the UK, Hungary, Portugal and France to solve specific make or construction queries.
- Alongside product development and production maintain consistency in sewing rules and make standards and ensure factories understand the standards required to produce for the brand.
- Request, monitor and chase all samples.
- Ensure all garments are sealed ahead of the factories starting production.
- Request, inspect and assess pre-production, top of production and shipment samples. Flag any issues that could impact delivery with the Production Manager.
- Alongside the Production Manager, assist with any quality issues and faulty garments to ensure delays are kept to a minimum.
- Report on quality, faults and production each season detailing each factory performance against target.
- Assess any consumer and wholesale returns and ensure any recurring issues are addressed.
- Freelance Garment Technologist with a minimum of 5 years’ experience specialising in women’s tailoring, dresses and soft separates, smart day to eveningwear.
- Contemporary or luxury fashion experience essential.
- Ability to fit to Gold Seal standard.
- Good working knowledge of pattern cutting.
- Excellent fabric knowledge encompassing woven and jersey from delicate to structured fabric bases, technical components and sewing techniques.
- Experienced in working in a fast paced environment.
- Experience in maintaining the critical path for development and production samples.
- Experience working with factories in the UK and Europe.
- Tenacious, assertive and determined attitude with excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organised and numerical with excellent problem-solving skills.