Head of Technical
To take responsibility for the consistent execution of quality product from technical specification stage through to finished garments. You will have responsibility for all areas of garment quality control including the analysis of returns in order to continually improve product fit. The design and product are always produced with great attention to detail and the person filling this role will be required to produce garments reflective of this and continue in the improvement in the quality and consistency of product. You will be managing a team of 2 and have extensive technical skills across all apparel areas and accessories - a background in pattern cutting would be useful as would some expertise in knitwear.
ROLE IN DETAIL
- Lead the team and work with design to establish workable, customer-focussed standards of fit, blocks and make standards.
- Manage the day-to-day workload of the department, planning workloads effectively to meet key company milestones within the critical path.
- Work closely with the design team by way of participating in design handovers in order to produce right first-time tech packs and ultimately right first time proto’s
- Review and analyse returns information and make suggestions for improvements that is fed back into the design and production process in order to reduce company returns rate.
- Manage in house and freelance technicians in preparing tech packs for samples for sending to suppliers and take accurate sample measurements.
- Responsible for ensuring tech packs for garment are produced to the required standard and will produce excellent shape, fit and quality.
- Ensure detailed specification sheets are issued after each proto fit with garment measurements and construction techniques and completed by each team member
- Responsible for ensuring all requests for proto and photo samples are made in a timely manner according to the critical path and key timelines
- Responsible for ensuring all proto and photo samples are delivered on time in order to meet key company meetings
- Manage the pre-production process, through monitoring garment / product developments to critical path dead- lines.
- Maintain garment specification sheets and assess / comment on prototypes samples, communicating feedback to external contacts.
- Work closely with the Sourcing and Merchandise team and report on vendor delivery and quality performance.
- Support the suppliers during the bulk manufacturing process, fit and comment on production grades.
- Ensure all photo samples are reviewed and measured and any issues highlighted to Head of Sourcing before handing over to the shoot team.
- Ensure shipment samples are received and reviewed and then approved to supplier before final shipment of goods.
- Support where required any remedial re processing.
- Ensure good communication between your department and copywriter/marketing on garment information
- Support a culture of good communication and co-operation
- Travel to sourcing bases to meet and work with suppliers
- Inspire and encourage a strong team ethic
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Excellent understanding of the brand: its product and design aesthetic.
- To have a passion for product quality and consistency and to relentlessly pursue this
- An understanding of fashion trends and influences
- Extensive experience in Ladies woven tailoring, knitwear and soft separates
- Knowledge of accessories would be an advantage.
- Creative pattern cutter who can also drape on the stand
- Knowledge of electronic pattern cutting systems
- Appreciation of yarn qualities knitted structures and woven/printed textile fabrications.
- Understanding of product construction and garment spec generation.
- Good numeric skills for taking measurements and making calculations.
- Good listening skills to clearly interpret the wishes of designers.
- An understanding of how different garments are constructed.
- The ability to be focused and pay attention to detail.
- Patience for working with fine measurements.
- The ability to take the initiative and manage a larger team.
- Clear and concise communicator.
- Degree qualification in fashion or textile design
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in the industry.
- Clear and concise communicator.
- Strong Administration skills.
- Computer proficiency essential; Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet.