Head of Buying
Johnstons of Elgin is a family owned business operating since 1797 and we currently employ more than 1000 employees across our business. We are one of Europe’s most successful and innovative companies in the design and manufacture of luxury cashmere and fine woollens, with customers including most of the world’s leading fashion houses. Our own Johnstons of Elgin brand is being developed further into a fully formed lifestyle brand capable of competing with the world’s best brands.
In 2018 Johnstons of Elgin became the first textile manufacturer in Scotland, the first organisation in Moray (where we employ around 700 employees), and, the first organisation in Hawick (where we employ around 280 employees), to achieve the Investors in Young People [IIYP] GOLD Accreditation. The previous year we were “PwC Family Business of the Year”, and there were other business recognition awards too.
Our retail sites in Elgin, Hawick, St Andrews, New Bond Street in London and Nantucket are all trading exceptionally well and we are looking forward to opening our new flagship store in Multrees Walk in Edinburgh this spring. Ecommerce also has been a huge success for us. To support the continued retail growth, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Retail Buying Manager to join and head up our busy and evolving buying department.
Head of Buying
You will be based in Elgin and be responsible for a small team of buyers covering menswear, ladieswear, homeware, children and babywear and accessories, ensuring sales and profitability within the allocated budgets. You will have specific accountability personally for buying in one or more of these areas.
- Work close with the Johnstons of Elgin design team to influence future designs in line with retail customer feedback and retail division business needs;
- Developing effective and influential commercial product stories in conjunction with the Marketing team to be deployed in all stores;
- Supporting and leading visual merchandising to ensure store roll out of company product campaigns;
- Working closely with Merchandising Manager on the department strategy including market/competitor analysis, trend forecasting, and product range planning and selection;
- Calculating and determining retail prices, margins, and sale prices;
- Consistent negotiation of trading terms with suppliers;
- Cascading educational product knowledge effectively through to the retail teams and consumer;
- Analysis of business successes/challenges, ensure sales are maximised & product controlled via KPI’s;
- Regular business travel from Elgin to London and locations in between;
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in buying, preferably [but not essential] within a Buying Manager role, ideally within the luxurious goods sector;
- Data driven and comfortable with both conducting/dissecting analysis, along with partaking in presentations and team meetings.
- Proven track record of delivering incremental sales growth in a commercial environment;
- Good judgement and decision-making skills;
- Confidence in suggesting calculated risks and ability to create business opportunities and follow through;
- Numerate and strong analytical and computer skills
- Strong leadership abilities and driven by continuous team/self-development.
To apply, please write enclosing your CV along with details for your remuneration package, no later than 15 March 2019 to: HR Dept, Johnstons of Elgin, Newmill, Elgin, IV30 4AF.