The Head of Design is responsible for the overall product aesthetic across all collections (including Men's & Women's RTW and gender-fluid pieces), interpreting the brand’s DNA and vision into elevated products within innovative sustainable and circular systems. Besides demonstrating sensitivity to shape, form and style, the ideal candidate will have a keen interest in making a positive difference within the industry, focusing on innovation beyond the product. Reporting directly to the CEO, the role covers the management of all design developments and coordination of the studio.
The successful candidate will be a Senior Designer ready to take the next step or a recently established Head Designer with experience in leading a small team at a contemporary or luxury fashion brand. Demonstrable experience in balancing creativity with commerciality to support the growth of the brand is essential whilst capturing streetwear and sportswear influences with a luxury hand to create a refined relaxed everyday aesthetic and an elevated accessible collection.
Proven experience, projects or a demonstrated personal interest in sustainability practices is a must! Examples could be upcycling design, design for the circular economy or working under strict sustainability guidelines.
In this role creativity needs to be found within the restrictions of a sustainable concept; traditional workflows and hierarchies will be challenged. The fabric will be the starting point for design, merging sustainable innovation with heritage codes.
- Conduct research across different areas, not only in terms of stylistic references but also in areas of modern sustainable innovations.
- Think outside of the box; design products outside of the conventional method, focusing on the wider product-service-system, rather than the creation of a new product archetype.
- Prepare and present relevant research on shapes, colours, fabrics, trims, prints, graphics and any other techniques or innovations of interest.
- Work closely with the RM Manager to source materials through conventional and unconventional channels; this includes vintage garments, deadstock of products or fabrics, or any other relevant findings.
- Work in constant collaboration with the sustainability and product teams to engrain sustainability innovation within all design elements.
- Product design in line with the collection plan, pricing architecture and sales objectives, ensuring cohesion across the different product ranges, sustainability goals and representation of brand identity.
- Review design concepts, presentation boards for meetings, inspirational concepts, raw materials, drapes, mock-ups and colours with the team.
- Process construction knowledge of products and components in regard to design and development, demonstrating a keen understanding of the making process and the product life cycle.
- Participate in all fittings and partner with technical teams on garment fits and adjustments.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other internal teams on a regular basis, facilitating the flow of communication, time management and the exchange of new ideas.
- Travel for research, trade fairs or fittings as and when needed.
- Oversee freelance designers and pattern cutters to ensure an efficient and coherent creative outcome.
- Mentor and guide design interns and junior designers, overseeing their work and development.
- Participate in the coordination of photoshoots for lookbooks and press.
- Degree in fashion design.
- Minimum of 6 years experience as a Senior Designer with managing one or two junior team members or a recent Head of Design with experience in managing a small team.
- Career track record in luxury fashion.
- Design experience in the creation of elevated streetwear.
- Passion for design, fashion, creativity and experimentation with a desire to make beautiful products.
- Good knowledge of garment construction, finishing and raw materials.
- Strong eye for colour, shape and texture.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit comfortable in a structured non-corporate environment.
- Hands-on positive team player.
- Knowledge and interest in sustainability and circularity practices motivated by the opportunity for evolution.
- Ambition to disrupt and drive positive change.
- Remuneration £ in line with experience.
- Location: East London
- Eligible to work in the UK without employer sponsorship now or in the future.
- Statutory pension scheme.
- 25 days + bank holidays