Head of Design-Menswear
Our client is a one of the largest retailers in Asia with 1000+ stores, strong ecommerce presence and solid investment in future expansion plans. Due to strong growth they are now seeking a new Head of Design to lead and nurture their menswear design team. This is an expat position based in Asia, responsible for managing a team of nearly 20 designers.
Purpose of the Role:
- Lead the Menswear design team for the private label products to generate cohesive stories and themes.
- To ensure the most effective use of talent to create competitive advantage from concept through to delivery.
- To ensure the development of commercial product ranges for customers
Leadership & Teams
- Be the creative leader and partner to all stakeholders
- Set and guide creative direction for the categories including putting together option plan
- Lead, train, hire, motivate design team to deliver high quality, customer focussed design work
- Attract, develop and retain talent; create appropriate succession plans
- Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals and teams
Strategy & Development
- Lead and implement the creative strategy across the various product areas in line with consumer preferences and overall business plan
- Provide direction on seasonal requirements on fabrics, trims etc
- Strategically partner with other business units (merchandising, production, development, sourcing)
- Keep abreast of customer preferences, changes in style and trends to remain competitive in the market
Operation & Results
- Coordinate and optimise the use of design resources
- Allocate and distribute projects and workload across design teams
- Set design goals and articulate business metrics, and motivate teams to deliver results
- Ensure consistently high quality of design work
- Be aware of market trends across the major markets and business units
- Ensure that the design teams provide trend-appropriate design concepts that meet market needs and drive sales
- Set, manage and monitor the design team budget
Head of Design: The Candidate:
The ideal candidate is a senior design manager/Head of Design with strong menswear experience within the UK high street.
You will have a global creative view and be able to translate all that into emerging markets in Asia
You will be a leader with strong management experience. We are quite happy to consider senior designers who have management skills and are ready to step up to lead a bigger team.
While you are a Head of Design and you will be setting the creative strategy for your team, however you will be a designer at heart and be prepared to become hands on if needed.
You will be willing to relocate and live and work as an expat in Asia.