Our Client a leading Household and Homewear Brand, has a vacancy for a Structural Packaging Designer. The Packaging Designer will work within a team of 6 and report into the Senior Packaging Technologist.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the technical creation of packaging formats - designing from briefs, creating assembly diagrams and 3D rendering for primary, secondary & tertiary packaging. They will provide innovative and cost-effective packaging solutions in line with the business objectives and deadlines.
They will drive the design creation of Branded products. As a Structural Designer, they will be working across multiple product categories, therefore require a detailed understanding of different packaging materials and their processes and how the materials and design can affect the result.
The candidate must have expertise and knowledge of packaging manufacturing along with experience using CAD software. The role will create/improve pack formats for existing lines but also co-create packaging solutions with the inhouse product design team.
The post holder has a responsibility to ensure brand integrity and customer confidence is maintained throughout the packaging life cycle.
- Support in delivering the Packaging Strategy through the packaging design.
- Produce innovative 3D design sketches and computer generated (CAD), 3-dimensional visuals and proto-types from concept
- Prepare plans, designs and specifications ready for estimating aligned with the Packaging Technologist for implementation
- Develop creative concepts, in accordance with the product brief and budgets
- Work closely with manufacturer & Packaging Technologist to ensure accurate production of design
- Cost management throughout packaging creation – financial viability.
- Financial responsibilities including reduction in taxation fee for packaging waste and Project Budget management
- Create standardization across packaging formats that creates uniformity and drives commercial efficiency.
- Contribute to the translation of macro trends in to micro packaging trends working coherently with the Product Design trends.
- Some International travel may be required
Skills & Expertise:
- Able to create and design accurate, detailed and to scale drawings
- Understand manufacturing capabilities and ensure designs are developed to maximise efficiency and cost
- Working knowledge of artwork and print
- Experience in a structural or production design background (ideally packaging or POS related)
- Knowledge and experience of using CAD, Adobe Creative suite, Microsoft Office and other industry standard software
- A working technical knowledge of packaging materials and methods are required especially plastic and injection moulding techniques
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong and proven background within CAD design
- Creative approach to designing structural packaging concepts for product and transit.
- Technical ability to take concepts through development, creating drawings to send to research and finally manufacture.
- Knowledge of packaging CSR and legislation.
- Must have detailed understanding of materials and how to utilise these to value engineer packaging formats.
- Understanding in technical standards and testing requirements.
- Understand the cost of printing, packaging materials and production and design the packaging to meet a cost price.
- Ability to present packaging concepts to cross functional stakeholders to gain approval.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills with the ability to manage conflicting priorities and meet tight deadlines.
- Work effectively in collaboration cross-functionally to achieve shared goals and deliver business objectives.
- Good project management skills with the ability to lead projects to completion and provide hands on support as appropriate.
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
Knowledge/Experience & Qualifications:
- Graduate with relevant experience in a structural packaging design role e.g. Engineering/Design/Packaging within an FMCG environment or equivalent demonstrated experience
- Professional qualification to Institute of Packaging Diploma preferable but not essential
- Project Management experience - proven track record of delivering complex projects
- Experience of drawing and sketching would be a bonus
- Track record of managing & delivering cost optimisation/value engineering concepts
- Proven experience across a number of packaging materials and processes within a Product or Brand led business
- Proficient in CAD design/Adobe
up to £35k