We are specifically looking for someone with experience in innovative yarns to become the specialist within our highly experienced team expanding our pioneering materials offer to further enhance the sustainability credentials of our products.
With at least five years’ experience preferably with emphasis on woven accessories (scarves), you will have a deep level of technical understanding to create imaginative and striking fabrics that explore the structure, pattern, and texture with a portfolio to reflect this.
Working alongside a team of expert in-house designers you will continuously push the boundaries of innovation to inspire and excite our own collection as well as all our discerning customers and make each unique brief a reality. Any evidence to support experience in this would be beneficial.
The role is a mill-based full-time position. Flexibility to travel both in the UK and abroad will be required.
Key duties include:
- Continuously develop innovative fabrics that explore yarns, weight, structure, pattern, texture, composition, and price.
- Sourcing of unique and beautiful yarns.
- Understanding individual clients' needs and responding to their briefs quickly and creatively.
- Managing the development of new products from the early design stages through to industrialization.
- Wide knowledge of finishing techniques that will support the realization of innovative fabrics.
- To follow critical paths and hit deadlines whilst working in a busy design department
- Enthusiastic and creative with a passion for continuous learning and technical understanding of the weaving process.
- To be able to communicate effectively with customers, colleagues and salespeople to guide in the product/design development process.
- As a team player, you will be highly motivated and have a flexible and determined approach to any challenges presented to you.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced Design Department.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Woven CAD software.
Johnstons of Elgin is an innovative, luxury clothing brand with over 220 years of experience in working with the world’s finest fibres. Across three centuries, our family-owned company has carefully sourced cashmere and fine woollen fibres from around the world, applying the latest technology and highest quality craft expertise in our own vertical Scottish mills. Employing over 900 staff, our valued employees and communities are at the heart of everything we do, producing unique, high–quality designs that are made to last. Our brand is focused on sustainability, working with natural, renewable, and biodegradable fibres and we are committed to maintaining a minimal environmental footprint.
If you are looking for a challenging but rewarding position and believe you meet the above criteria, we would love to hear from you. Please apply below